My New Treadmill Desk


A couple of years ago, I sent one of our Gelf writers to check in on a new fitness "trend" I had heard about: walking while working. Dr. James Levine, a researcher at the Mayo Clinic, had found that thin people generally expend more energy in the trivial everyday things than fat people (think fidgeting and wandering). He came up with a way to harness and apply that finding by creating the world's first treadmill desk, which was, basically, a slab of wood balanced over the arms of a slow-moving treadmill. By walking incredibly slowly while going about their jobs (around .7 mph), folks could expend up to 800 extra calories per day and thus theoretically lose up to a pound a week.

Since Sarah Arnquist's Gelf article came out (accompanied by Eric Lister's awesome drawing above), the practice hasn't changed much. There are a few more practitioners out there, but it's mainly confined to people who work from home or have lots of leeway at their jobs. Like the Segway, its silly appearance seems to have stifled its appeal.

But I work from home, and can try out silly-looking things whenever I damn well please. So behold (below) my first treadmill desk. I've used it for three whole days now, so I'm in no real position to describe its health benefits. But it was easy and cheap to build--I basically used this tutorial--and I can pretty much do everything work-wise that I was doing before. (Like write silly blog posts when should be editing.)

12 Comments:

Blogger Mariposafan said...

Now that you've had a bit more time to use it, what are your impressions of working while walking?

July 28, 2008 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger david goldenberg said...

Still great. I definitely recommend it! You might have to take some breaks early on in the process, but now I'm up to six or seven hours per day.

July 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Brad Rhoads said...

Please join our community of treadmill desk users at http://officewalkers.nng.com.

September 18, 2008 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Brad Rhoads said...

OOPS! The URL is http://officewalkers.ning.com.

September 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Treadmill Workstation.com said...

That is one fat desktop! Good for you.
I built my own too, and started a blog called http://treadmill-workstation.com
I have many photos of my treadmill desk. Stop by and say hi and leave a comment.
Thanks!
:)

October 4, 2008 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger boshness said...

The big question I have is; doesn't a desk that is attached to the treadmill have some shaking problems while one is walking?

I want one that is not attached in any way to the treadmill, to avoid this, but I also like to type at a level that is below my waist.

Can you tell me of a treadmill that does not have all that computer claptrap in the middle (that I don't need), and that would interfere with the height that I desire for my desk?

Thank you so much...!

March 3, 2009 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Brad Rhoads said...

@boshness You only walk at 1-2 MPH, so shaking isn't usually a problem. If you have to do very find work, such as photo editing, then you might need to slow down even more. It is a good idea to look for a treadmill that can go slower than 1 MPH.

Besides that, just build what you want. It really doesn't take a lot and you can find lots of help at http://officewalkers.ning.com.

March 3, 2009 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger boshness said...

Thank you, Brad..! I found just what I was looking for at the website you recommended! The Tread Desk treadmill does not have any of those bothersome in-the-way contraptions above the floor, and they make a wonderful selection of desks to fit every budget - I'm going for the biggest and the best..!

Only one thing bothers me - the tread is just 18" wide, and the motor is only 2 horsepower, it looks like. I wanted to get the best treadmill, the one David Goldenberg recommends: the "Smooth Fitness 7.6HR Pro, #3 HP Motor: With 3 HP you have all the power that you'll ever need.
# Running Belt: 20"x60""

So now what. Maybe the Tread desk treadmill is good enough? It does have a 5 year warranty...

March 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger 50PlusSam said...

Treadmills are good exercise for chaps my age. I do my 30 minutes exercise each and every day.
http://www.lifesyle-after50.com/fitness.html
fitness

September 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger FitDesk Fanatic said...

If you are worried a treadmill desk might feel unstable to walk and work - try the FitDesk. FitDesk is an lightweight exercise bike that holds a laptop for easy typing and video game play. wwww.fitdesk.net

February 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger BarbaraTako said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger BarbaraTako said...

I have a Smooth Fitness 6.25 treadmill. This is my first day using the workstation my husband built me from plywood. I am loving it! I hope to develop the habit of hopping on to check e-mail and to work. I work from home. Question: Speed? I tend to go 3 m.p.h. and I saw online that many others go about 1 m.p.h. Is it just personal preference and a function of duration, or does anyone have any comments/suggestions/thoughts about best speed? Thanks!

September 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

← Blog home